In August of 1981, Alf and Larry Roeder purchased the John Deere dealership at 1215 Oregon Street in Hiawatha KS. In July of 1998, Hiawatha Implement added a second location in Mound City, MO. A new facility was built in Mound City in 1998. In August of 2011, the Hiawatha location was moved to a new facility at 2000 Oregon Street. At the Mound City location a shop addition was added in 2013 and in September of 2014 a showroom remodel and expansion was completed.
John Deere History in Hiawatha KS and Mound City MO:
Dannenburg Implement was the first John Deere dealer in Hiawatha. The dealership was opened in the 1920’s in the 500 block of Oregon Street. Cowen implement purchased Dannenburg Implement in the mid 1930’s. The dealership was relocated to the 700 block of Utah in 1941. In 1947, the dealership was incorporated. The dealership also added on and moved the service department from the basement to the new addition in 1947. Hiawatha Implement was founded in 1971 when Don Cowen sold the dealership to Doug Miller and Ellis Clark. In the late 1970’s, Ellis Clark sold his shares to Don Lloyd. In 1976 a new facility was built at 1215 Oregon Street.
Chris Young was the first John Deere dealer in Mound City. He started Mound City Implement in the 1920’s at 406 State Street. Charles Allenbrand and Charles Kurth purchased Mound City Implement in 1943. In December of 1944, Charles Allenbrand purchased Charles Kurth’s interest in Mound City Implement. Nelson Vogel purchased the dealership in 1946. In 1950, Don Hall purchased the Mound City Implement. A new 60 X 120 facility was built in 1959 on North State Street. Audrey and Dean Heck purchased Mound City Implement in 1961. Audrey bought Dean’s interest in the business in 1970. Audrey’s nephew Kneale Heck purchased the dealership in April of 1982. Mound City implement was closed in 1996. There wasn’t a John Deere dealership in Mound City between 1996 and 1998.